Rejoice for Spring is here – at last. How good it feels to expose ever more parts of my body after several months of thermals, layers and woolens. Wherever you are listening to this in the world (and there are a lot of you all over the place now!) I wish you a bright and grounded day, may we all give thanks for the warmth and light of our Sun as it reaches us. I have such a deep reverance for this great celestial being in the sky, I can totally understand the rampant deification of it by ancient cultures and indeed today, there is much one can do to work with the energy of the Sun and the information it holds.
One of my favourite practices over my years of self-exploration is the Aztec art of Sungazing… and no, I’m not blind, if anything my eyesight is sharper than ever. Personally, I have found the effects to range from clarity of mind, an increase in energy and a sense of heartfelt joy depending on the strength of your practice. I realise this can be a contentious topic so I shall say no more for now, but if you are interested in finding out more then Vinny’s site is exhaustive and a veritable goldmine of information. I should point out by way of a disclaimer that I am in no way encouraging anyone to try this themselves, any personal experimentation you undertake should be with full responsibility for your own body. Do your research and please be careful folks.
It’s interesting to me that both extremes, of taking in light and of the absolute restriction of light, can both invoke deeply mystical experiences. Possible areas for the Parapsychologists out there to explore?
I hope you vibe the hell out of today’s episode of The Lumieres Podcast with Dr David Luke, if you did enjoy it please tell your friends and share it with them, hit me up on Twitter or Instagram and if you want extra-special brownie points, leave me a rating a little review on iTunes which helps more people to find out about it and gives you sacks of good karma. I’ll do you a little shout out too on the next episode if you like!
until next time everyone – be well,
[Image: Traditional Huichol yarn art painting depicting the annual Peyote pilgrimage]
David Luke completed his PhD on the psychology of luck in 2007, and is now Senior Lecturer in Psychology at the University of Greenwich where he teaches an undergraduate course on the Psychology of Exceptional Human Experience, and is also guest lecturer on the MSc in Transpersonal Psychology and Consciousness Studies at the University of Northampton.
He was President of the Parapsychological Association between 2009-2011 and as a researcher he has a special interest in transpersonal experiences, anomalous phenomena and altered states of consciousness, having published 100 academic papers in this area. Dr Luke is co-editor of Talking with the Spirits: Ethnographies from Between the Worlds (Daily Grail, 2014) and Breaking Convention: Essays in Psychedelic Consciousness (Strange Attractor, 2013), editor of Ecopsychology and the Psychedelic Experiences (2013), and is also coauthor of the undergraduate textbook Anomalistic Psychology (2012, Palgrave Macmillan). David is also director of the Ecology, Cosmos and Consciousness salon at the institute of Ecotechnics, London, and is a cofounder and director of Breaking Convention: Multidisciplinary Conference on Psychedelic Consciousness.
He has studied techniques of consciousness alteration from South America to India, from the perspective of scientists, shamans and Shivaites, but increasingly has more questions than answers.
CONNECT WITH DAVID:
- How Dave got into his weird and wonderful work
- The scientific approach to exploring altered states
- Self-experimentation with pre-cognition using San Pedro cactus
- Psychedelic renaissance in research and wider culture
- Origins of the Breaking Convention conference
- The importance of integration and ritual
- Jody’s bizarre Ayahuascas tale
- Mystical experience and the power of belief
- Cultural cosmology and it’s influence on our experiences
- The Psychology of Luck and Synchronicity
- Keeping a work/life balance and making time for field research
- On being a new father and living in North Wales
- The creation of the Neuromagica Retreats
- The affect of Psychedelic experiences on our Eco-consciousness
- Urban living as a direct cause of Psychological imbalances
- The future: It’s going to get weirder!
- How do we define what Life is?
- Technological Psychedelia through Virtual Reality
- Reaching the AI singularity and the ‘DaTuring Test’